Before we begin with the best HAPPINESS QUOTES Collection, let’s take a moment. What is there to say about happiness that hasn’t already been said, been felt and been longed for. Life bears its richest rewards when are able to tap into its gifts. Happiness is the sense that being alive has its highlights. It is the electricity of our souls, the power of our goals.
59 Happiness Quotes that Will Motivate You
1. “For every minute you are angry, you lose sixty seconds of happiness.” ― RALPH WALDO EMERSON
“The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do.” ― SIR JAMES M. BARRIE
3. “Don’t mistake pleasure for happiness. They are a different breed of dogs.” ― JOSH BILLINGS
4. “The best philosophy is to do one’s duties, to take the world as it comes, submit respectfully to one’s lot, and bless the goodness that has given us so much happiness with it, whatever it is.” ― HORACE WALPOLE
5. “Are you bored with life? Then throw yourself into some work you believe in with all your heart, live for it, die for it, and you will find happiness that you had thought could never be yours.” ― DALE CARNEGIE
6. “The secret of happiness is to admire without desiring.” ― FRANCIS HERBERT BRADLEY
7. “We are more interested in making others believe we are happy than in trying to be happy ourselves.” ― FRANCOIS DU DE LA ROCHEFOUCAULD
“Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life.” ― BURTON HILLS
9. “Happiness is a butterfly, which, when pursued, is always just beyond your grasp, but which, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you.” ― NATHANIEL HAWTHORNE
“Happiness is something that comes into our lives through doors we don’t even remember leaving open.” ― ROSE LANE
11. “The lives and happiness of our children, as far ahead as the mind can reach, depend on us today. If we succeed, posterity looking back will record that this was indeed man’s finest hour.” ― CARL A. BERENDSEN
12. “The greatest happiness of life it the conviction that we are loved – loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves.” ― VICTOR MARIE HUGO
13. “I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances.” ― MARTHA WASHINGTON
14. “It is the chiefest point of happiness that a man is willing to be what he is.” ― DESIDERIUS ERASMUS
15. “We begin from the recognition that all beings cherish happiness and do not want to suffer. It then becomes both morally wrong and pragmatically unwise to pursue only one’s own happiness oblivious to the feelings and aspirations of all others who surround us as members of the same human family. The wiser course is to think of others when pursuing our own happiness.” ― DALAI LAMA
“Action may not always bring happiness; but there is no happiness without action.” ― BENJAMIN DISRAELI
17. “The road to happiness lies in two simple principles: find what it is that interests you and that you can do well and when you find it, put your whole soul into it….every bit of energy, ambition and natural ability you have.” ― JOHN D. ROCKEFELLER III
18. “Most true happiness comes from one’s inner life, from the disposition of the mind and soul. Admittedly, a good inner life is hard to achieve, especially in these trying times. It takes reflection and contemplation and self-discipline.” ― W. L. SHIRER
19. “Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.” ― FRANKLIN ROOSEVELT
20. “Everyone needs and deserves love and happiness. Let’s not wait until we’re perfect to go out and find it.” ― PAT A. MITCHELL
“There is no happiness except in the realization that we have accomplished something.” ― HENRY FORD
More Happiness Quotes that Will Motivate You Below
When we allow ourselves to enjoy a moment, we are happy. When we force that smile that does more for a friend than it does for us, we are happy. The spark of new adventures makes us happy.
Improving and making progress in worthy ambitions makes us happy.
It is much easier to believe in hope when we are happy. Yet we wait for happiness to reach us. We forget that it is our responsibility to master our happiness. We wait for those rare instances of delight. When right now, we may as well be happy that we are fortunate to be alive. We may decide to work our problems, ravelling in the advancements we are able to make in our character and living conditions.
No one can write for you your recipe for happiness, but how much could it hurt to trust the Buddhist for once. Let go.
Stop latching on so desperately to the anchors of stress, insecurities and regrets. Let go. You are a ship and the whole world is ahead of you. Be happy.
Happiness comes down to the choice of a smile and a positive attitude. It is in our hands, no matter how trying your circumstances. You can rise above. You just have to start letting go. In your own way. Happiness comes from you, and not to you.
More Happiness Quotes that Will Motivate You Below
22. “The happiness of most people we know is not ruined by great catastrophes or fatal errors, but by the repetition of slowly destructive little things.” ― ERNEST DIMNET
23. “Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.” ― STORM JAMESON
24. “I enjoyed my own nature to the fullest, and we all know that there lies happiness, although, to soothe one another mutually, we occasionally pretend to condemn such joys as selfishness.” ― ALBERT CAMUS
“Let no one ever come to you without coming away better and happier.” ― MOTHER TERESA
26. “Happiness is like a cat. If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you. It will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you’ll find it rubbing up against your legs and jumping into your lap.” ― WILLIAM BENNETT
“Only one thing has to change for us to know happiness in our lives: where we focus our attention.” ― GREG ANDERSON
28. “Happiness quite unshared can scarcely be called happiness; it has no taste.” ― CHARLOTTE BRONTE
29. “Live, love and, be present in each moment. Each moment quickly passes by, but over time, their culmination makes for a truly fulfilled life.” ― LISA GEORGE
30. “I do not understand what the man who is happy wants in order to be happier.” ― MARCUS TULLIUS CICERO
31. “There is a wonderful mythical law of nature that the three things we crave most in life — happiness, freedom and peace of mind — are always attained by giving them to someone else.” ― PEYTON CONWAY MARCH
32. “That action is best which procures the greatest happiness for the greatest numbers.” ― FRANCIS HUTCHESON
“Happiness, it is said, is seldom found by those who seek it, and never by those who seek it for themselves.” ― F. EMERSON ANDREWS
34. “Striving for happiness is a long, hard journey with many challenges. It requires eternal vigilance to win the victory. You cannot succeed with sporadic little flashes of effort. Constant and valiant living is necessary.” ― JACK H. GOASLIND, JR.
35. “Genuine security arises from actual, first-hand knowledge that one is both capable and worthy of achieving happiness -through conscious, responsible action – and, once having attained it, that he deserves it.” ― MICHAEL J. HURD
“Nobody really cares if you’re miserable, so you might as well be happy.” ― CYNTHIA NELMS
Scroll Down for More Happiness Quotes:
37. “Happiness is a conscious choice, not an automatic response.” ― MICHAEL BARTEL
38. “But what is happiness except for the simple harmony between a man and the life he leads?” ― ALBERT CAMUS
39. “It is necessary to the happiness of a man that he is mentally faithful to himself.” ― THOMAS PAINE
40. “Happiness is essentially a state of going somewhere, wholeheartedly, one-directionally, without regret or reservation.” ― WILLIAM H. SHELDON
41. “People take different roads seeking fulfilment and happiness. Just because they’re not on your road doesn’t mean they’ve gotten lost.” ― H.JACKSON BROWNE
42. “Unhappiness is the hunger to get; happiness is the hunger to give. . . . If the individual should set out for a single day to give happiness, to make life happier, brighter and sweeter, not for himself but for others, he would find a wondrous revelation of what happiness really is.” ― WILLIAM GEORGE JORDAN
43. “Happiness is not a reward – it is a consequence. Suffering is not a punishment, it is a result.” ― ROBERT GREEN INGERSOLL
44. “The happiness of life is made up of minute fractions – the little, soon forgotten charities of a kiss or smile, a kind look, a heartfelt compliment, and the countless infinitesimals of pleasurable and genial feeling.” ― SAMUEL TAYLOR COLERIDGE
“Happiness is that state of consciousness which proceeds from the achievement of one’s values.” ― AYN RAND
46. “To find out what one is fitted to do and to secure an opportunity to do it is the key to happiness.” ― JOHN DEWEY
47. “Happiness doesn’t depend on what we have, but it does depend on how we feel towards what we have. We can be happy with little and miserable with much.” ― W. D. HOARD
48. “If you want happiness for an hour, take a nap. If you want happiness for a day, go fishing. If you want happiness for a year, inherit a fortune. If you want happiness for a lifetime, help someone else.” ― CHINESE PROVERB
49. “Happiness, in this world, if it comes at all, comes incidentally. Make it the object of pursuit, and it leads us on a wild-goose chase, and it is never attained.” ― NATHANIEL HAWTHORNE
50. “Our greatest happiness in life does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits.” ― THOMAS JEFFERSON
“There may be peace without joy, and joy without peace, but the two combined make Happiness.” ― SIR JOHN BUCHAN
52. “The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts….take care that you entertain no notions unsuitable to virtue and reasonable nature.” ― MARCUS AURELIUS
53. “True happiness, we are told, consists in getting out of one’s self, but the point is not only to get out, you must stay out, and to stay out you must have some absorbing errand.” ― HENRY JAMES JR.
54. “Love is the master key that opens the gates of happiness.” ― OLIVER WENDELL HOLMES
55. “True happiness consists in making happy.” ― BHARAVI’S KIRATARJUNIYA
56. “The first recipe for happiness is: Avoid too lengthy meditations on the past.” ― ANDRE MAUROIS
“The purpose of our lives is to be happy.” ― DALAI LAMA
58. “In our daily lives, we must see that it is not happiness that makes us grateful, but the gratefulness that makes us happy.” ― ALBERT CLARKE
59. “Remember happiness doesn’t depend upon who you are or what you have; it depends solely on what you think.” ― DALE CARNEGIE