1. What is Conversion Rate Optimization?
Conversion rate optimization (CRO) is the systematic process of increasing the percentage of website visitors who take a desired action — be that filling out a form, becoming customers, or otherwise. The CRO process involves understanding how users move through your site, what actions they take, and what’s stopping them from completing your goals.
The Objectives of Conversion Rate Optimization
- Boost the number of users who convert into customers
- Boost the number of users who take a desired on-page action
2. What Do You Need to Know?
CRO is not random – it is a science that drives results
CRO is an extension of User Experience
CRO is much more than graphic design – Data and psychology also play critical roles in ensuring that CRO is effective
3. The Scientific Method of Conversion Rate Optimization
- Come up with a hypothesis based on historical data and current user experience
- Look for ways to reduce conversion barriers (E.G. lengthy copy, too many on page links, lack of call-to-actions
- Conduct A/B and multivariate tests to gauge the impact of suggested changes
The Four steps of the CRO Process
CRO Step 1 – Data Analysis
Take a look at:
Quantitative Data – Used to identify potential problems – Traffic, bounce rate, conversion rate etc
Qualitative Data – Used to gauge the experience of users – User feedback, heat-map results from past test etc
CRO Step 2 – Hypothesis Development
Make a guess(hypothesis) based on the data reviewed by following Step 1 of the CRO process. Identify what ought to be optimized to drive performance towards a desired KPI result. Create your test plan.
CRO Step 3 – A/B Tests
Utilize testing platforms like Optimizely. For each test, it is important to consider:
A. Traffic sources – Tests can be open to all visitors or those from a specific source (organic, paid, social, etc)
B. Test URLs – Determine where the test will be served
C. Goals – What improvement are you striving to make
D. Control conversion rate – Data of the existing conversion experience
CRO Step 4 – Results and recommendations
Once you’ve collected enough data from Step 3, time to implement the winning experience.
4. How Conversion Rate Optimization Connects with Other Channels
- Paid Search
CRO is implemented to optimize the experience on paid landing pages, ensuring that users take the desired action once they click on an advertisement.
Purchase experience can be improved by:
- Testing for brand content and messaging
- Adding forms, call-to-actions, and other elements
- Tweaking the site information hierarchy
- Designing user flow
- Web Design
CRO will help set a high performance standard for the build of key pages. If you already have a website, CRO will help uncover weaknesses which hinder conversions. It will also help identify the elements of your site that contribute to success.
- Search Engine Optimization
Aside from ensuring that traffic comes to a site, a key responsibility of any SEO is to keep users engaged and satisfied. CRO helps boost the soft metrics (time on site, number of sessions, return users etc).